Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts (short story) part 3

I looked into his eyes. He kept looking ahead as we walked. He was so...beautiful. It amazed me that a person like this would waste a moment of his time to talk to me. He looked at me ad grinned. I blushed and looked forward. "So, Angela," he started, "how long have you lived here?"
"About fifteen years."
"Oh. So you never lived anywhere else?"
"Nope."
"Wow," he said, "you must have a lot of memories here." I sighed and nodded, "Good and bad."
He nodded too, "Yea." He looked over at me and said, "There's a lot of things I wish I could erase, you know?" I nodded and sighed heavily, "Believe me, I know." I imagined pushing my sister out of the way right before I slapped down the five, so that the baseball wouldn't have done much more than break my window. "Well, I've got to be on my way," he said. I smiled and nodded, "Ok."
"See you around?"
"Most likely," I said. He waved and walked away. The wind blew my hair over my face as I headed back to my house. It seemed like there was someone, somewhere, who was trying to make me forget. Trying to make me move on from my sister's death. To grow from it, even. But it wasn't working. All the distractions only made the wound more noticeable.

I walked through the trees away from her, wondering what it was that kept her down. She seemed to put only half of herself into everything she did. The one time I had seen her use everything she had was when she saved me. Her wet hair and determined eyes flashed through my mind again. That was the only moment I had seen her eyes so full. All of the time I had been with her today, her emotions seemed to sit within her eyes next to another emotion that would always remain: sadness. I knew that something had happened to her that she could never forget. I knew that a boyfriend was probably the last thing in the world on her mind. But I kept remembering her with her arms wrapped around me, the only time that the sadness was gone from her eyes, replaced with one whole emotion. Only when she was saving me.

"This is the last goodbye I'm ever gonna say, this is the last goodnight I'm ever gonna waste, this kiss is poisonous, if you can't control the way it enters your soul!" she sang as she jumped up and down on my bed. I laughed. "One love! One life! One love is better than you tonight!" I sang along with her. We flopped down onto the bed, laughing together.
I closed my bedroom door behind me and sat down in front of it, not attempting to fight the tears. I knew that my memories and breakdowns were not going to help heal me. But how could I help it? Every time I walked into that room, something came back to me. Something that reminded me of her. There had never been a time when I had sat in this room without her. Now every time I sat in the room, she wasn't there. Like Tyler had said, I had a lot of memories here. Endless painful, heartbreaking memories.
"I'm HO-OME!" my brother sang as he slammed the front door behind him. I wiped away my tears, rinsed my face to get rid of the redness in my eyes and rushed downstairs. "Hey Jake. You wanna watch something?" I asked. He walked into the kitchen and pulled out the potato chips. "Sure. What do you wanna watch?"
"How about...Twilight?"
"How about we don't watch a chick flick AGAIN?" he said with sarcasm. "Ok Mr. tough guy. What do YOU want to watch?"
"How about Prom Night?"
"That movie is way too creepy. No way."
"How about we just flip on the TV and see what's on?"
"Sounds good to me."

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment