Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts (short story) part 6

I got off the bus and walked down the narrow pathway to my house. "Hello Tyler honey. How was school?"
"Good...I guess," I replied. "The kids at my school have something seriously wrong in their brains," my little sister said as she slammed the front door behind her. "Hello sweetheart...how...how was your first day of school?" my grandma asked cautiously. "Messed up. SERIOUSLY messed up."
"How so?" my grandma asked. "No offense, grandma, but you wouldn't understand. You're not in middle school."
I rolled my eyes. Girls.

I walked into my house and my little brother walked in behind me. "Man, school sucks," my brother said. I didn't ask him why, but he told me anyway. "There's this new chick at my school, and all the guys were like obsessing over her even though she's a total emo. Man, she's a freak."
"Nice. You don't even know her, how can you say she's a freak?"
"'Cause she is," he replied. I rolled my eyes, "Whatever. I'm not you're mom, so I won't lecture you." My brother walked over to the fridge and pulled out the milk. "Thanks," he said. He chugged the milk. "Dude! Come on, get a glass! I don't want your nasty little germs in my milk!" I yelled at him. He laughed, "Mah bad. I'll be upstairs if you need me."
"Why would I need you?" I called after him. He laughed and closed his bedroom door behind him. I put the milk away and wiped the counters, stalling going upstairs. After the whole kitchen was basically sparkling, I sighed and trudged up the stairs. I opened the door to my room with my eyes closed. I opened my eyes and to my surprise, no memory came. I looked around the whole room, and still nothing came. I sat down on my bed. I was shocked. This was the first time since the death that I hadn't had a memory when I walked into that room. Maybe I was getting over it. I sure hoped so. I would have done my homework, but I finished it in study hall. I picked up my clothes and brought them down to the laundry room. "HEY BRAT!" I yelled up at my brother. "WASSUP?" he yelled back, not hurt at all. "BRING DOWN ANY DIRTY CLOTHES YOU HAVE! WHITES ONLY!" I yelled. "SIR YES SIR!" he yelled back. I took all my white dirty laundry and poured it into the washing machine. My brother came downstairs with a basketful of clothes and dumped it in with mine. I put the laundry soap in and turned it on and my brother went back upstairs. I walked into the living room and put on the TV. I was watching the movie 'Another Cinderella Story' intently when the phone rang. I paused the movie and walked over to the phone. "Hello?" I asked half heartedly, not wanting to get into a conversation right in the middle of the movie. My mind changed when I heard whose voice was on the other line. "Hey Angela. Its Tyler," Tyler said. I grinned, "Hey Tyler! How'd you get my number?"
"Uhhh...phone directory..."
"Oh. Right," I replied. He laughed, "So...uh..."
"Yea? You need the homework pages or something?"
"Um...no..."
"Ok...what's up?"
"Um...you know, since I'm uh new to the school...I don't uh really know...anyone..." he said. I tried to figure out what he was getting at. "So I uh...wanted to...ask someone...and you're the only...uh..."
"What are you getting at? I'm not really getting it," I said. He sighed, and there was silence for a few seconds, "What I'm trying to...say...is...do you want to go to the dance with me?" I hadn't even known there was a dance. Geez, this guy had been here for a day and he was already more informed than me. I smiled, "Sure. I'll go with you." He practically shrieked on the other end. I laughed, "Umm...ok....see you there!" he said. "Wait!" I said quickly. "Yea?"
"When is it?"
"Tomorrow night."
"A saturday night dance?"
"Yup."
"Ok. See you there."

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment