Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts (short story) part 4

I sat on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. Why couldn't I stop thinking about her?! I'd had girls before that gave me butterflies or whatever, but this feeling was a thousand times more overpowering than any of those crushes had been. She was all I could think about! I couldn't breathe when I thought about her, which meant that at the moment I had a major lack of oxygen entering and exiting my lungs. I had met this girl two times! Its not like this feeling had been building up within me every time I saw her. The feeling had entered me the first moment I had seen her, and I couldn't get rid of it. Not that I wanted to.

I grabbed my backpack and raced out the door, not wanting to miss the bus again. I was quite used to having my parents' car to get me to school, and since my parents had taken the car with  them, I had to ride the bus. Not exactly my favorite thing to do. I got on the bus and walked to the very back. An eighth grader got out of their seat and offered it to me, and I sat down. I started reading "Flipped" and looked up when the bus came to a stop at the bus stop that we usually passed. Tyler got onto the bus and smiled at all the people staring at him. He sat down in an available seat in the front. The bus was quiet for a minute, and then everyone started talking again. All the girls whispered, "Who is he?"
"He's fine!"
"Have you seen him before?"
"He's so cute!"
I smiled to myself. Somehow I wasn't surprised by the response Tyler was getting from all the middle  school girls. He definitely was 'fine'. 
We all got off the bus and filed into the crowded hallways, the middle schoolers going to the middle school building and the high schoolers to the high school building. Suddenly everyone was talking about Tyler. It was insane! Even the senior girls were drooling over him, and the popular guys in every grade were discussing getting him onto the football team. I knew that he would be popular, but I didn't know it would be this immediate! I started feeling threatened as all the girls whispered about him and whistled when he walked by. I walked straight to my locker and spun the lock furiously, taking my pointless jealousy out on it. "ANGELA!" I heard from down the hallway. I spun around and saw Tyler waving to me from the other side of the school. I smiled as he pushed his way politely through all the crowds of people that were obsessing over him and ran over to me. "Hey Tyler. Or should I say Edward? John?" I said playfully. He laughed, "Now let's not confuse everyone. Geez! I feel kind of like everyone is staring at me..." I laughed too, "That's because they are! Are you a world famous movie star? You really should have mentioned that to me." He smiled and shrugged. "Aw, you  know, it just slips my mind sometimes," he said as he motioned with his hand. "Seriously," I said, "Now you're bringing attention to me! Tyler, you're going to ruin my reputation! I can't be seen with movie stars!"  He laughed, "Ok. Do you know where room...102 is? I think its...English. Yea, English." My eyes widened, "Hey! That's my first class too!" I said with excitement. "Wouldn't you know it?" he said, also with excitement, "Well then, my lady, lead the way!" I smiled, grabbed his hand and pulled him quickly along with me to the English room. All feelings of jealousy were completely gone.

Her hand felt so small and delicate around mine. I was trying to keep my face composed as she pulled me through the crowds of people staring at me and Angela and I's hands. She turned her head and smiled at me as she pulled me up the staircase. Her smile was so beautiful, and it combined with having her hand wrapped around mine was almost more than I could handle. I could hardly keep myself from screaming. 

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment