Thursday, April 15, 2010

Devyn part 5

Sorry it's been so long since I wrote in this one...I literally forgot about it...oops...

"HELLO, PEOPLE OF THE OFFICE!" Devyn hollered as he swung around the corner of
the wall in front of the elevator. "Shhhh!" Debra shushed Devyn loudly and he put his hands
up in front of him in defense. "Where's my girl?" he asked loudly, and Debra groaned. I
laughed and stood up, "Hi, baby."
"JUSTIN! THERE she is!"
"Oh, would you be quiet! This is an office, you know!" Debra complained. Devyn smiled at her,
"Yea. An office, not a library."
"She only gets away with things because Erik doesn't want to fire her," Debra muttered.
"Hey," I replied, narrowing my eyes in disgust at Debra's horrible-haircut surrounded, acne
covered face. "Shut up." Devyn laughed and I turned my computer off, getting up and walking
over to him, giving him my arm and sticking out my tongue at her as we left the building.
"Agh!" she hollered in irritation. The fact was, what she had said was true. The only reason I
could get away with anything was because Erik was the manager and he didn't want to have to
confront me. This is why you shouldn't date your co-workers...well, from Erik's perspective, at
least. From my perspective, this is why you should date your boss.
"So, where to, Mr. Mom?"
"Mr. Mom?"
"Yup."
"Why?"
"Dunno."
"Well, OK then. To the Cheesecake Factory, I think." I smile, "Random, but OK."
"Oh, yea, 'cause Mr. Mom isn't random but going to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch is."
"I never said Mr. Mom wasn't random."
"You're gonna give me an aneurism."
"Oh, I hope not." Devyn smacked my arm and I laughed as we stepped into the mall.
As we sat down at a table, Devyn said, "So, I think it's really hysterical that you have a
real, live, actual Debra-the-annoying-office-lady at your work."
"Hilarious."
"What, you don't find that funny?"
"You wouldn't, either, if you knew just how really annoying she is."
"On the contrary, I would only find it funnier."
"You say that now."
"Well, then, I suppose we shall never know." The waitress came up to us now and smiled at us,
"You guys are such and adorable couple," she started, "your appearances, like, mesh. Like
matching clothes, or something." I rose an eyebrow and Devyn just put on the huge grin he
wears every time he's trying not to laugh. "Um, we're, like, you know, not together."
"Oh! Sorry! You're siblings, duh. I was wondering how you looked so alike." She smiled, and I
shook my head as Devyn put his hand underneath his chin, looking at her, his grin growing. "No,
actually, we're not related, we're just friends." The waitress rose an eyebrow, and Devyn
added, "Oh, yea, best friends." He held up to fingers and crossed them, "We're like this." The
woman blushed, "Oh. I see. Sorry about that. Well...um, are you ready to order?"
"Yup!" Devyn said with a smile, waving off the entire conversation wit his easy manner. I
watched him with a smile as he ordered for us and handed the woman our menus. "So," he said,
looking back at me, "how's work?"
"Bleh. Boring."
"Mm. I can imagine."
"No you can't. You're an author. All you do is what you love, and you get paid for it."
"Yea, you're right. I can't imagine. I love my job." I groaned and rolled my eyes, and he laughed
and took a sip of his water. He gargled it and I smacked him on the arm, laughing as a couple
sitting at the table next to us looked over at us. Devyn looked back at them, "Hello!" he said in a
friendly tone. They rose their eyebrows and looked away, and I cracked up laughing as Devyn
said, "Sheesh, polite people right there."
"Oh, Devyn, you crack me up."
"Glad to be of service," he replied, smiling at me.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment