Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Nibble part 25

Gabby had been sick Monday and Tuesday, but she was well as ever on Wednesday, and had been clued in by Lindsay on what had occurred- and what might have occurred. I cleared my throat when I found both of them standing by my locker as I walked up. They had their arms crossed over their chests, and their eyes were narrowed. They looked weird, both standing there, polar opposites in appearance, but standing in the same position. "Um, hey, guys," I nodded at them, blushing already. "She blushes!" Lindsay exclaimed, "That means something!" Gabby stuck out her hand to me and said, "Hello, ma'am, I'm Gabby, your best friend since third grade, along with this weird woman standing with me," she pointed to Lindsay, "The one you tell all your secrets to? The one who tells you all her secrets, even the deep, dark ones?" I laughed and shook my head, "Hey, Gabby."
"Would you like to tell me what's going on with Nick Angel?" I swallowed, "Oh, um, he got tackled by this gang. Really sucks."
"Sure does. Let me rephrase. Would you like to tell me what's going on with Nick Angel and you?" I blushed bright. "Ah," I cleared my throat, "I, uh, visited him at the hospital."
"I heard."
"So why do you ask?"
"Little Missy. Would you like to tell me what else is going on between you and Nick Angel? You better be real with me. I cannot stand lies, you know, even white ones."
"I know."
"So. Tell me." I sighed and turned to my locker, "I don't know," I said, "I just..." I paused, and started over, "We just-" started over again, "He-" then, right on cue, Nick walked up. "Hello, ladies," he said, and the usual chills ran down my spine like a roller coaster on its tracks. I coughed, choking on my words. "Good to see you again, Gabrielle. I hope you're feeling better." Gabby sniffed, "I should be saying that to you, Mr. I can't believe you got tackled in an alley and lived to tell the story." Nick laughed, "I'm glad about that." Gabby nodded, "I bet you are. We are, too."
"'Specially Remi," Lindsay put in, oh so graciously. I gave her my best dagger eyes. "So, Nick," Lindsay ventured, "How's your girlfriend doing?" I blushed like a strawberry and tried to figure out where I should look. Nick blinked, "Excuse me?" Lindsay grinned, "Your girlfriend. Don't you have a girlfriend who goes to another school?" Nick rose an eyebrow, "Um, not that I know of." Lindsay shrugged, "Oh, well, you know how rumors go." She smiled at him, and just as the silence began to feel awkward, she continued, "So, if you don't have a girlfriend, who do you think you'll take to prom?" Nick rose an eyebrow at her with a tiny half-grin, like he had figured out her plotting. I felt like letting out a sigh of relief- he wouldn't give me away. "Oh, I don't know," he said, "I don't usually go to school dances." Lindsay smiled, "Oh, but you have to go to your senior prom. So who shall you take?" He grinned wider, "I don't know, Lindsay. Would you care to go with me?" I held back a laugh as Lindsay blinked at him in surprise. "Wuh-I-" Nick interrupted her with a wave as he turned from us and said, "See you later, ladies."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment