Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 98

"We should go to Kansas."
"Kansas?"
"Yea."
"What is the appeal of Kansas that makes you want us to go there?"
"I don't know. I just think it'd make a good joke- you know, we go back to school and that one teacher who really wants to bond with the kids asks, 'Did anyone go somewhere fun over the summer?' And people will reply with things like, 'Maui', or 'Italy' or 'I visited the long lost brother I never knew I had' and then we'll be like, 'I went to Kansas.'" I laughed and slapped Selena's arm lightly, and she grinned. "Seriously," I said, "We need to think of somewhere. And somewhere closer than Kansas." Selena sighed, twirling her hair around her finger. After a moment of silence, as I went over places we could drive to mentally, she burst out with, "Portland!"
"Selena. Seriously."
"I'm being serious! I've always wanted to go to Portland. If I believed in bucket lists, visiting Portland would be on mine." I rose an eyebrow, "If you believed in bucket lists?" Selena rolled her eyes, "Yea, they're totally overrated. I mean, what if you died, and you hadn't completed the list, and there was, like, two things left...and then, like, your best friend, or something, is looking through your stuff, and finds the list, and they're like, 'Oh my gosh, I wouldn't do that with her 'cause I had too much homework that one time, and now she'll never get to do it.' Like, how depressing would that be?" I rose an eyebrow at her and shook my head, looking back down at the magazine that I was keeping open with my foot as I painted my toe nails green. Dustin's toe nails had always been green. "Oh," Selena said, sounding nervous, and I looked up, "I'm sorry. Did Dustin have a bucket list? Oh my gosh, I just vocalized something that happened, didn't I? Oh, geez, I'm-"
"No," I quickly cut her off, and I pressed a smile on my face, "No, you didn't. She didn't have one." I laughed, and shook my head, looking back down at my green toe nails, "She probably would have agreed with you." Selena pondered this for a moment and then said, "You know, actually, I think I didn't come up with that disbelief." She thought about it for a moment longer, as if checking herself mentally, and then nodded, "Yea, I remember now. Dustin told me that one, one time, when I'd been joking around that snorkeling in Oregon was totally on my bucket list." I laughed, "Well, that certainly sounded Dustin enough. Snorkeling in Oregon? Can you do that?" Selena shrugged, "Probably not." She grinned, "But somehow I doubt that would have stopped Dustin from doing it." I grinned at her and shook my head, looking back at my toes and blowing on them, moving my foot away so that the magazine could close. "Yea," I said, "lets go to Portland."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment