Monday, November 1, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 87

I had known that she would call some time. She couldn't put it off forever, though I didn't really know why she was putting it off. I was still shocked, though, when my phone rang and the caller id read, "Hawk Calling". I pressed talk quickly and said, "Sadie!"
"Hey, Tyler."
"Hey! Um...so, I haven't heard from you for a while...?"
"Yea." I paused, waiting for her to elaborate. It didn't seem like she was going to. "Why?"
"Tyler, I'm sorry, I just don't really want to do this."
"This..."
"I kissed you, Tyler, and you rejected me and moved back to your old town and your old girlfriend. I know you didn't mean to hurt me, I know that we're not meant to be, or whatever. But I just think it's kind of ridiculous of you to think that anyone in the real world could really pull off the whole 'just friends' thing, especially under the awkward circumstances. I'd love to think that this could work out, Ty, and that we could stay best friends forever and talk to each other about our love lives, but I'd just be lying to myself. I'm a human being, Tyler, and so are you, and so, therefore, we have to be realistic and face the fact that this relationship is really at an end point." I was shocked, to say the least. I'd always known Sadie to be the monologue type, the rant type, one who, when her mind was made, would explain what she thought in an extremely thorough manner and would then proceed to stick to her belief and not even give you opinion a first glance, let alone a second one. I knew there was no way I could argue with her, no way I could change her mind. So I just said, sadly, "Well, it's been a good run, Hawk."
"I did enjoy our acquaintanceship, Tyler, and whatever else it was. Be seeing ya."
"Yea, bye, I guess."
I'd known she would call, but I guess I just hadn't seen our conversation going like that.

Dustin used to play the piano. Not well, and not often, but she couldn't sing well, and when she heard a song she loved she always wanted a way to play it herself, and since she couldn't sing it, she would learn it on the piano. She'd generally just learn the base chords, the melody, the simple parts, but when she was playing the piano, and the song that she loved spilled out from underneath under her fingers, even just the melody, she seemed like she had found bliss. I had always found the piano more frustrating than satisfying, and I had a decent enough voice that I could sing the songs I liked, and I didn't have to learn them on the piano. But, either way, we still had that small little keyboard resting underneath our couch. We never had a stand, Dustin would either put it on the table or just play it right there on the ground, "More like Bach," she said. Since summer was coming around, I decided to do a little cleaning out around the house. I was throwing away everything we didn't need, but when I pulled out that piano, it just seemed wrong to get rid of it. I knew we shouldn't cling to random little things just because they were Dustin's, I knew that was the sort of thing that kept us from growing, from moving forward. But there was something about that keyboard...it just seemed wrong to get rid of it. So I pushed it back under the couch, leaving the collected dust on the keys, where more would collect over time.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment