Friday, January 21, 2011

The Schizophrenic's Wife

There's a twist in the way he thinks
It cuts right down the middle of his sentences, disrupting his words
As they flow out of his mouth

I've ignored it thus far
But it's getting to the point where
I feel the love I've always had
As he says these things to me...
And then he stops, right in the middle
And as awful as it is
I feel the love that's been building
Spilling out of me
Like it's an object with substance
A liquid pouring out onto the ground below me

He used to sing songs and write poetry
He used to memorize folk songs that no one else knew
And he would pull out the guitar he couldn't play
And sing those unrecognizable notes
There wasn't a person in the world who could keep from laughing

Anyone who knows
Tells me
I'm not being reasonable
They tell me that he needs
Help
But I am all the help I can give him
And as long as I cannot find it within myself to
Love him
Again
I know that
No matter what they might say
No one else can, either

And maybe the people they're talking about
Think
That they can help him
But until someone can love him
Until
I
Can love him
Again
He will be trapped in the middle of his sentences
And he will be imprisoned
In his own
Mind

© 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment