Monday, January 17, 2011

Nibble part 26

Lindsay huffed and turned to me again, and Gabby and I laughed at the shocked expression she had just displayed. "Your man is clever, I'll give you that." She grabbed Gabby's arm and said, "We will catch you yet, Hester Prynne. Don't think you can get away with this for long."
"You're grinning."
"Good observation."
"Something's up. You can't wipe that grin off your face."
"I am offended. I can indeed." I mimicked wiping my mouth harshly with the back of my right hand, and I frowned before I took my hand away. Harrison chuckled and shook his head, "Who's the guy? I'm gonna pound his face into the ground." I laughed, and decided I might as well be honest. "No need, he's already gotten attacked by a gang within the week." Harrison rose his eyebrows, "How did that happen?"
"He was walking in an alley in the middle of the night."
"Wow. Sounds like an intelligent guy. Real keeper."
"Oh, he is," I replied, with a grin. Then Jason stepped into the frame, in the back of Harrison's room, and I heard him yell, "Do you wanna know something completely ridiculous, Harrison? They were out of salami! Have you ever heard of such a thing? A grocery store! Out! Of salami! It simply does not get any more ridiculous than that!" Harrison shook his head as I leaned over laughing, and Jason walked out of the frame muttering something about what the world has come to. Harrison glanced at the clock on his computer and said to me, "I'll talk to you later, ma'am, and hear more about this intelligent lover boy of yours. Got to go to class. Love you, sis."
"Love you, Harrison. Have fun finding the salomi." Harrison laughed and quit the chat, and I leaned back on my pillows and sighed, staring at my ceiling, waiting for it to be late enough for me to sneak out.
Nick had a lollipop stick pointing out of his mouth when I walked up to him, my hands jammed deep into my pockets to attempt to warm themselves in the freezing weather. "What kind of lollipop is that?" I asked as I walked up, already regretting the decision I had made to not blow-dry my hair as it clung to my neck and a drop of freezing water slipped down the back of my shirt. I released one hand from my pockets to reach back and stop the drop's descend, pulling the stray wet collections of hair out from inside my jacket and pulling my hood up closer around my neck. Nick moved the lollipop to one side of his mouth and sneered with the other side, and I stepped closer to him and peered into his mouth, and then leaned away again. "Ooh. Tootsy pops. I love Tootsy pops. Except the grape ones. Those are gross." Nick removed the lollipop from his mouth cigarette-style long enough to reply, "I fully agree. Anything grape that isn't an actual grape is inedible." I grinned and he popped the candy back into his mouth. "Got any more?" I asked. He reached into one of his pockets. He was wearing a large jacket tonight, almost a rain coat but not quite, and it was black, as per usual. The pockets were the kind that seem endless as you're reaching into them, that you could probably fit a few small animals in without looking like you were carrying anything. He pulled out two lollipops and two suckers and held them between his fingers, grinning at me. I grinned back and noticed the caramel apple pop, which I immediately selected. "I love these things more than actual caramel apples," I informed him as he put the rest of the lollipops back into his endless pockets. He grinned sideways at me as we started walking and then said, looking out in front of him, "Well, that certainly might mean something, quite a bit of something. Or it might mean nothing at all. Depending on how much you like caramel apples." I laughed as I unwrapped the candy and then said, "Oh, I assure you, I adore caramel apples," before grinning back at him and sticking the pop in my mouth.

© 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment