Thursday, October 14, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 82

I sat in my new room and hit redial, biting my lip when it went straight to voicemail again. Finally, I caved and left a message. "Hey, Hawk, it's, uh, just me... Tyler...I was just calling, um, 'cause, you know, I haven't heard from you in a while and I was just... you know... wondering... how you were doing. Um, things are good over here. The house is awesome. So, uh... just call me, I mean, when you get this. Yea, so, uh... bye."
"Wow," Milly said, looking up from the book she was reading on my floor as she pretended to help me unpack, "Most awkward message ever. I mean, seriously, you deserve some sort of award. A medal. Or, um, you know, I mean, maybe just... you know, some, uh, recognition, or something."
"Shut up," I replied, rolling my eyes as I flung my pillow at her. She laughed and threw it back, turning her head away from me and back to her book. I looked back at the phone again, as if it may ring at any second and if I wasn't staring right at it, I would miss it. Milly looked over the cover of her book and said, "So, you gonna help me down here, or what? Any time in the next century would be awesome." I rolled my eyes, "You have to be doing something for me to help you."
"Ouch. That burns."
"I'm like a raging fire." Milly laughed and I climbed off the bed, sitting on the ground next to her as she put her book down and we turned to my boxes.

I wanted to approach my mom about my idea. I thought that if I caught her in the right moment, I might actually get something out of it. But really, I didn't want to wait for the right moment, I hoped she would just be in a bad mood every time I remembered the idea- because I didn't want to go through with it. I knew it was best, I knew it was progressive, I knew it was good for me. But I couldn't bring myself to accept that I wanted it, let alone ask my mom about it.
Selena was over when Tyler came by on Monday afternoon. She had come over at two, to celebrate the fact that it was two and we were not in school. Selena is a big summer person. Tyler walked at a quarter until five. He was wearing dark jeans and a dark shirt, and with the unexpected clouds in the sky and his mop of dark hair looking freshly cleaned, therefore, that much darker, Selena's comment was only to be expected. "Dude!" she said when he walked in, "You're gone for a few months, and you come back my best girl's boyfriend, and an emo?" He laughed, "Hey, Selena." She smiled and opened her arms wide, and he walked over, chuckling, and hugged her loosely. "Boyfriend, huh?" he said, turning to me with a raised eyebrow. I blushed, "Her words." He smiled and shrugged, winking at me as he walked into the living room and fell onto the couch. Selena sighed as she turned back to me. We were making dinner, because Selena had invited a bunch of people over from school to celebrate the joyous occasion of summer's arrival. My parents were thrilled with this idea and promised to stay out of the way. I grabbed my sister's old non-prescription glasses from Urban Outfitters and put them on as I started to chop the onions. Selena raised an eyebrow at me and I explained, "So my eyes don't tear up." Selena laughed, slipping around the counter for the same reason, I expected, but she defeated the purpose as she leaned over it and said, with wet eyes, "He is so fine. You are so lucky. I wish my boyfriend could wear jeans like that boy does." I laughed at that and replied, with a raised eyebrow, "Boyfriend?" She smiled, "Yea. Carter Lewis. Not a total hottie, but a real charmer." She shrugged, "What can I say, I'm a sucker for a guy who's creative with his pick-up lines." I laughed and shook my head. Tyler was flipping the channels on the TV, and I smiled at how comfortable he was in my house. Well. He was for a moment. Until..."Oh. Hello, there, son."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment