Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lovely, Lazy, Hot, and Not part 31

James

I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling, almost not processing the night's events in my mind. I close my eyes and relive the night in my mind, just to make sure it was real.

I walked into the barn and laughed out loud at the unbelievable stereotype that was playing out right before my eyes. There was a fold-up table set in front of the animal pen doors covered in drinks and food. Another was set against the far-back wall, with large, expensive-looking speakers set up on it, music blasting out of them. There was a couch against the other wall, and chair scattered around the walls. Other than that, the place was just a barn, only minus the animals walking around and plus the dancing teenagers. It was truly bizarre. The type of thing that was so bizarre, movie writers scratched it off their script, saying it was unrealistic. And yet here it was, playing out right in front of me. As soon as I stepped into the place, Leighton popped up in front of me. She looked hot, dressed in a strapless, short little shirt and low-rise jeans that showed off her pelvis. Her hair was pulled back and braided up to her forehead, making her face, which was obviously painted with several layers of make-up-which was kind of trashy, but she did look good, I had to admit- and she had long, dangly silver earrings hanging from her earlobes. I stared at them, wondering if that much weight on your ear hurt, or if you could feel it at all. She smiled widely at me with her painted-red lips and grabbed one of my hands with one of hers, which had long, sparkling fingernails and a ring for three of her fingers. More than not. I kind of rose my eyebrows but faked a smile back at her, wondering what the heck she was doing. "I was hoping you would come," she said, taking my other hand with her other one- which also had three rings and sparkly fingernails. Now my eyebrows really shot up as I said, "Um, oh, you were?" She grinned and nodded, and then yelled over the music, "Dance with me!" Now my eyebrows were really high. "Excuse me?" I screamed back. "Dance with me!" she repeated. I shook my head, "I think I'm hearing you wrong, could you say that again?" She leaned into my ear and yelled, "Dance with me, moron!" She laughed and pulled back, and I'm not sure what my face looked like at that moment, but it was probably completely blank. Utter shock will do that to you. She turned around and pulled on my arms, pulling me onto the... dance floor, if that what you can call it. Really just a floor with people dancing on it. I didn't really have a choice, so I danced with Leighton, which was pretty much an out-of-body experience, and I'm sure I was horrible, as I was in too much shock to really process what was going on. Then, as she smiled at me and screamed something about the snack table, I hurriedly lost myself in the crowd and searched for Venice. I was about to give up and leave when Leighton found me again. She smiled widely. Again. "Where were you, I've been looking for you!" She screamed with her huge smile. I shook my head, "I was looking for..." I trailed off, looking back into the crowd. I was going to tell Leighton that I was gonna go now, but she beat me and said, "Venice, right?" I rose an eyebrow, "How'd you know?" She looked like she sighed, I couldn't quite tell because it was so loud. "Everyone knows you like her, James. If there's one thing you're not, it's inconspicuous." She rolled her eyes and took both of my hands in hers again, and my eyebrows once again shot up. "You don't need her, James. You don't need to mope over a girl who'll never be interested." Wow. Thanks for that. "You have me, James." Now I was confused. Sooo confused. She watched my expression go from offended to confused to shocked and then back to utterly, completely confused and then, finally, she reached out, cupped my face in her hands- eyebrows shot up once again- and pulled my face to hers, placing her lips on mine. I couldn't really tell you if she's a good kisser or not, though, because my body sort of fainted without actually fainting. A shock to the system would be the understatement of the century to how I felt in that moment. When she pulled away- after a considerable amount of time of me leaning against her in my not-quite-down-but-definitely-out-of-it state- I just stared at her, eyes the size of golf balls, before spinning away from her and running to my car. I'm fairly sure I heard her screaming after me, but I didn't turn back. I don't think my feet would have let me even if I'd wanted to.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment