Sunday, July 26, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts (short story) part 14

I drove away from Angela's house feeling the happiest I had been in a long time. The whole day had been...well, to be quite frank, (and though this may sound lame,) the whole day was such a rush! All day my subconscious was telling me that she was looking at me. That she was STARING at me. (On normal circumstances, someone staring at me for most of the day would creep me out, but you know, this was kind of different. Kind of majorly different.) And when I moved the hair away from her eyes, (which was a total instinct by the way...ok, so I really wanted to do it-but still,) she looked at me with this expression...I don't even know how to describe it. But it was amazing. I felt like she was beginning to feel the same way about me as I do about her. Well, maybe not as strong, but she still seemed like she liked me. A lot. Which is good. 'Cause I love her.
I got home and Milly was painting her toe nails black in the living room with Good Charlotte blasting from the surround sound stereos. "Where's grandma?" I asked. "She went away for a few days. She was gonna hire a babysitter but I said that was stupid since you were old enough to babysit and there was no reason to waste money. She agreed eventually and she left a couple hours ago. I think she said she'll be back...tuesday or wedneday." I frowned, "What are supposed to do about meals?" Milly motioned toward the counter and said, "She left money for A LOT of pizza and she told me to tell you that we have cereal and we could take care of lunch ourselves." I smiled, "Pizza every night? We haven't done that since-" I caught myself and didn't finish. "Since '03," Milly finished for me. "Um...do you wanna meet some of our neighbors? I met some really nice people that live nearby," I said. Milly laughed, "I'll bet. You've been spending every second with her." I rolled my eyes, "We're not dating."
"No, but you wish you were," she said. My eyebrows rose. Could she read my mind or something? "You're easy to read," she said with a sly smile. "Ok...well...let's go. I think she has a little brother your age." She scoffed, "Gross. I hate boys." I laughed, "Does that include me?" I asked. She shrugged, "Not really."
"Ok well let's go.
I rang the doorbell and Jake answered it. "Hey Jake," I said. "Hey Tyler," he replied. "ANGIE! YOUR BOYFRIEND AND COMPANY ARE HERE!" he yelled. "HE'S NOT MY BOYFRIEND!" Angela yelled back as she ran downstairs. "But he wishes he was," Milly whispered to me. Jake looked at her and smiled. I wedged her in the side with my elbow. She only smiled wider. "Hi Andrew. Hi..." Angela said as she walked up to us. "Milly," Jake, Milly and I all said at the same time. Angela laughed, "Hi Milly. Do you know my brother?" Milly nodded. "Do you wanna go hang out with him upstairs?" Angela asked with a half smile. Milly shrugged and her eyes widened as Jake grabbed her hand and pulled her upstairs. "Hi Andrew. What's up?" Angela asked.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment