Thursday, July 9, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts (short story) part 12

I went home that day with a lot on my mind. I hadn't had so much information to think about since my sister's death! I lay on my bed that night and stared up at the ceiling. What was I supposed to do?

I walked into my house that night and heard nothing. Total, utter silence filled the whole house. It was darker inside than it was outside, and it was pitch black outside. No wind came in through the windows, though there was a storm outside and we usually left most of our windows open. Nobody was home, I knew that from the fact that there were no cars in the driveway. I was surprised by this, because my sister was supposed to be home. I tried to flip on the entryway light, but it wouldn't turn on. I suspected a dead lightbulb. I walked into the kitchen and tried to flip that one on, but it didn't work either. "Great," I muttered, "power outage."
"Tyler? Is that you?" my sister's voice yelled from upstairs. "Yea Milly, its me. What are you doing in here with all the light off?" I yelled back. "HEL-LO-O, power outage," she said as she walked down the stairs. I couldn't see her at all, but I heard her voice coming closer to me so I just assumed that she was coming downstairs. "Why don't we ditch this joint and go out for ice cream?" I asked with a smile in my voice. She scoffed, "No thanks." I sighed and remembered the days when she was tiny and we did everything together. I took her to theme parks and malls and Thrifty's ice cream shop. But then the incident of '03 happened, and all of that ended. She became a total emo. She hated life, she hated everyone. She died her hair black and wore a bunch of dark clothes. She started hanging out with all these other creepy emos. "How about we rent a movie?" I asked. She shrugged, "Maybe. If we don't get some lame romance." I laughed, "Me? A romance? Please. Lets get a horror!" She smiled shyly and shrugged, "Ok, I guess." I smiled and went into the garage. I plugged my ipod in and played Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas. I turned it up as loud as was safe for the car, and Milly got in. She crumpled her nose, "I hate this song." I changed it to I Write Sins Not Tragedies by Panic at the Disco. "Do you like this one?" I asked. She shrugged, but I could tell she liked it. I turned it up and she half smiled.  I started screaming the words and she laughed. At the words "I love you" I turned my head and whispered "I love you" to her in a playfully dramatic voice. She laughed and started to sing with me. "I CHIME IN WITH A HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE EVER HEARD OF CLOSING THE DOOR, NO!" we yelled. At the word 'again', I tipped my head back and yelled it out. She laughed loudly. It was the first time I had seen her smile in a long time, and I was happy.
We walked into Blockbuster and I previewed all the horror movies for her. "The Uninvited, a charming tale about a psycho person who blamed her papa's girlfriend for her mommy's death," I said in the voice of the people in commercials. She smiled and shook her head. I pulled out Taken and said, in my commercial voice, "A story about two girls who want to travel Europe on their own and then get kidnapped and have to be saved by Papa." She shook her head again. This went on for a while and then I pulled out the movie The Messengers and said, "A lovely little story about a family who moves into a house full of ghosts who want revenge on their murderer and how the new family gets mixed in." Milly took the movie from my hand and read the back. "Let's get this one," she said. "Of course, your heighness," I said. "Don't call me that," she said in an annoyed tone. I put my hands in front of me, "Whoa! No offense intented." 
"Whatever," she said. We drove home and watched the movie. The movie was pretty good, but I more enjoyed the time with m sister. I know it might sound kind of lame for a guy to love spending time with his little sister, but the fact is I love her. Guys and girls enjoy spending time with the people they love, believe it or not.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment