Monday, December 20, 2010

The Workings of A Certain Mind

There was a light, once
There was this break in the darkness that came out of the street pole
Of course I had to follow it
I couldn't ignore its crying
Wouldn't that be simply cruel?

I was wondering about those shoes
How in the world could one fit such large feet in such small shoes?
Did they chop off her toes?
Do you think they cut off her heel?
And what about those hands? Goodness!

There's stripes, you know, in fingernails
Millions and millions of them, I bet
I see, they're railroad tracks.
And there, at the end, there, that's the last stop.
Happy travels, sir!

It's hardly comprehendible, I do declare
There are so many fish in that tank!
How in the world do they not use up each other's air supplies?
I was a fish, once.
Yes, yes, I was.
I had a very nice, coat, too.
I wish you could have been there, ma'am,
You would have very much admired my coat.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment