Friday, December 10, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 102

It took two days to reach Portland, not including the day we left. When we got there, we checked into a hotel and slept for about eight hours before going out. Selena had heard about a huge bookstore called Powell's that was somewhere in the city, and we all piled into the now-suitcase-less car to search for the place. We asked directions at every stop, and got closed and closer, until we finally pulled up in front of the five-story shop. We all gaped, shocked that such a place could exist. I'd never seen a bookstore larger than Barnes and Noble.
Tyler walked with me along the aisles of the third floor. I held his hand
as I skimmed the books with my other hand, occasionally pulling out
a title that caught my attention. "I sort of feel like a traitor, coming here,"
I said, smiling at him, "You know, to Stephen's, I mean. But I'm sure he would
understand. He'd probably come here, too, if he were in Portland." Tyler nodded,
smiling at me. I looked across the aisles, "Something about this whole place just
full of stories make me feel like my problems are small in comparison." Tyler
smiled and pulled me closed to him. "I always liked the smell of big book stores,"
he said, "Something about the combination of paper and ink. It's better than a
batch of cookies."
"I don't know if I'd go that far," I replied, grinning. He grinned back at me,
"You're cute."
"Thanks. You're cute, too."
"Hm. Thank you, I think." I laughed, and he pulled me up to him, placing his
lips on mine. And it was like we'd never kissed at all. That feeling of First Kiss
was still there. He knotted his hands in my hair I reached back behind my head
and interlaced my fingers with his. He tasted sweeter than books could ever
smell. His lips were softer than velvet, and he kissed me with the strength of a
last kiss, like this was the only moment we had left together. When we parted,
I smiled at him and said, "Here we are, kissing with the books."
"You're a story all in yourself," he replied, smiling as he smoothed my hair, his
eyes sparkling. "You'd be a New York Times bestseller." I laughed, and shook
my head."You're cute," I said again, and he laughed, "Oh, dear, you are wickedly
beautiful." And he leaned down and kissed me again.

Jake and Milly went to check out some music store a Powell's employee had
told them about, and Selena pulled the rest of us into a nearby coffee shop. Tyler
and I sat in a corner booth and watched people walk by on the street. "Wow," Tyler
said, grinning, "What they say about the out-there's living in Oregon is pretty on the
nose." I laughed and nodded in agreement, observing a woman as she walked by in
bright blue boots, a lime green beanie, and an almost-floor length yellow pea coat.
Selena called us up to the counter, ordering that we order something, for Portland
coffee was second, "Only to Seattle." I followed her bidding and ordered a cappuccino,
and as Tyler ordered, I looked at the candy racks near the counter. I saw a Hershey's
Cookies and Cream bar, and as Tyler turned to see the passerby Ed was commenting
on, I purchased the candy bar, slipping it into my jacket pocket before he could see it.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment