Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 108

I had never in my life been so happy to hear the words 'I love you'. "You do?" I asked, my eyebrows shooting up. She laughed and nodded. I slapped my knee. "Well!" I said, "Now doesn't that work out just so very nicely!" Angela cracked up and kissed me, and I felt her laugh on my lips. I wrapped my arms around her waste and lost myself in her lips, standing their with those two girls that I loved. "Very nicely indeed," Angela said, leaning away from my face and grinning up at me. I laughed and turned her into a headlock, and she laughed giddily as I scrunched up her hair with my fist.

I ate dinner with Tyler's family that night, and, though I could certainly feel the tension between his parents, and see the longing in both of their eyes (perhaps Charles's more), excepting this, everything felt as comfortable as it could possibly be. We ate on the living room couches while watching America's Funniest Home Videos on the small TV. Jake was there, too, and he and Milly sat on one couch with Linda, as Tyler and I sat on the opposite couch with Charles. He seemed very nice, if not fulfilled. Tyler looked extremely happy, and that made me happy, and so we all sat in the living room smiling and laughing and eating Chinese take-out. Still, despite the comfortableness of the house, I still felt like Tyler was still holding on to his grief, wasn't quite accepting that his life was going well. But, of course, I couldn't blame him. It wasn't as if I was giving up the grief I felt for Dustin, though I knew she would have wanted me to.

I felt like a kid going to Disneyland for the first time in years- I didn't quite believe that I wasn't dreaming, that I wouldn't wake up at any moment and find that all this joy was just a fantasy. My dad, though not exactly reuniting with my mother, had told me that he was moving back to the states, and that he would be visiting me much more. (By much more, I think he meant he would be visiting me, as he hadn't at all in the past.) My sister and I were living in a house, an actual house, with my mom. Jake had finally asked Milly out, officially, and she wore a smile everywhere she went- and had stopped painting her fingernails black. And Angela loved me. She leaned farther back into me on the couch, and played with my hands, which were intertwined with hers.
The whole situation was very absurd.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment