Monday, March 1, 2010

Lovely, Lazy, Hot, and Not part 8

James
I sit up, suddenly, as I see Thomas walk over to Venice, a smile playing with his lips. I was about to go over and talk to her, but then he walked up. I sit down casually, and sipped at my pepsi, like nothing is wrong at all. I nod to Thomas as he walks past me to Venice. I can here them talking, but I'm too far to hear them really well. "Hi," Thomas says. Venice mumbles a reply. Nervous, I can tell. She's always nervous around Thomas. Why, I'll never know. But she is. "Are you..." Thomas's voice trails off, and I thought perhaps he was saying the next thing too quietly, but then he says, "having...a good time?" I turned slightly and see her nod, smiling. I listen to their muffled voices for another minute before finally groaning, getting up, and walking away.
"Hey, James," a voice behind me says. I turn from my position: leaning against an oak tree, watching Venice and Thomas talking in the distance. She keeps fiddling with her hair. Leighton stands behind me, smiling. I blink, "Um, hi, Leighton." This is strange. Leighton never talks to me. She walks closer and leans against the tree next to me, sipping daintily at her soda. Pathetic. Venice would've had the whole cup down her throat by now. Knowing her lack-of-affection for me, she probably would have also burped before walking away to chuck her cup in the trash, most likely missing the can and blushing as she put the cup into the can and walked away. "So," Leighton starts, drawing out the word. I say nothing, taking another drink of my pepsi. She does the same. This is so awkward. "So what's up, Leighton?" I ask, trying to ease the tension. She seems calm, standing easily, like we do this all the time. "Oh, not much," wow. The ultimate conversation stopper. "How about you?" I feel like yelling at her, "Geez, girl, don't you see that you are backing us into the ultimate corner of Awkward Conversation?!" Instead I reply, "Ya, same. Listen, I gotta use-"

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment