Monday, March 29, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 51

"Hey, so, Jane. When were you gonna tell us you were engaged?" I asked sarcastically, my eyes widened at her. She looked at me, "I'm telling you now, aren't I?"
"You could've, you know, told us that you were dating him first."
"Oh, yea, because I've told you about every boyfriend I've had in my life. Please," she rolled her eyes. She ruffled my hair, (reaching up to do it, seeing as I was taller than her,) and said, "Don't worry, little brother. He's a good person." I scoffed, "I'll believe it when I see it." She put her arms out in front of her, "But you have!" I laughed, "He's gonna have to prove he's a good guy if he wants me to believe it." She rolled her eyes again, "Whatever, little brother." She winked, "Not like I really care about your opinion, anyway." I laughed, "Now that I know for sure." She smiled and walked toward the kitchen.
I sat on the porch, slumped over with my hands in my lap, and stared out at the street. "Hey, man," Robert said, walking up next to me. I looked up at him, and then back at the street. "Hey." He sighed, "Listen, I'm sorry Jane didn't tell you guys about this earlier. I told her she should, but she just kept saying it wasn't necessary." He shrugged, and looked at me, smiling as he continued, "Guess she didn't think we would last." I ran my hand through my hair and replied, "Don't blame her there. No one else ever has." He laughed and sat down next to me. "This is a nice street," he said, looking around at the houses. I shrugged, "I guess. I liked my old one better."
"Ah. You just moved here?" I nodded. "By force?" he asked. I nodded again, and then added, "Yea, after my mom hadn't even called me over a year." Robert seemed surprised, "Excuse me?"
"I haven't live with my parents for a long time now. And then, all of the sudden, my mom calls me and tells me she and dad are buying houses and we're moving out of Grandma's and coming to live with them." Robert whistled, "Wow."
"Jane didn't tell you any of this?"
"Jane didn't really like talking about...family life."
"Ah. Of course she didn't," I yawned and stretched my arms up above my head, "Who would, with this family? Not exactly a turn-on, you know?" Robert sort of nodded slightly. He was staring out in front of him, looking very confused. He opened his mouth to say something more, but I stood up and said, "Well, I don't know about you, but I'm gonna go inside and get some dessert." He smiled, but still seemed completely confused and curious, as he said, "I'll join you. I hope it tastes as good as is smells."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment