Sunday, March 14, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 50

First, a note:
PART 50! YAY YAY YAY YAY! :)
ANYway...

"That was horrible."
"You are truly pathetic."
"You are truly a jerk." Sean laughed and opened the passenger door of his car for me. I slipped
in and he closed the door again, walking over to other side and getting in. "Home?" I asked. He
looked at me, smiled, and said, "Where do you live?"
"MOM?" No response. I looked out the window and watched Sean drive away. I turned to
face the house and once again called out, "Mom?" Still no answer. I saw Pride and Prejudice in
the living room and picked it up. I walked up the stairs to my room and opened the door that
led to Dustin's and my hallway. I walked to the end of the hallway and let myself into the last
room again. I sat down on a little chair and opened the ripped and marked-up old copy of the
best book ever written, smiling as I melted into Jane Austen's world of Elizabeth Bennet and
Mr. Darcy, whose "good opinion, once lost, is lost forever."
I was so lost in the early 1800's that I didn't even realize my brother was calling my name.
Jake, totally clueless of this hallway, always got very confused whenever I was sitting inside. I
suppose he thought the door led to a closet, or something of the sort. Eventually, I left the room
to wash my hands, which were now sticky from sweat because the room I was in was hot and
humid, and I had not wanted to open the window because it was raining outside. When I did
step out of the hallway, closing the door behind me and leaving Pride and Prejudice in the back
room where it could sit and be the beautiful masterpiece it was until I once again opened the
pages and intruded its peace, bringing in the modern world; I finally heard Jake screaming my
name. Worried that he had been calling me for a quite a while, I hurried down to the second
floor. "What's up, Jake?" Jake spun on his heel and practically jump back, startled, "Jeez,
where did you come from?" I tried not to shake my head at his cluelessness as I said, "Um, the
bathroom." He blinked, "Oh. Well didn't you hear me calling?"
"Sorry, no. Did you need something?" He shook his head, "No, I was just wondering if I was the
only one home." I nodded and he went into his room. I walked back upstairs and closed the
door behind me. I turned around and there was Dustin, laying on the bed, holding Pride and
Prejudice up above her as she read. I was sitting next to her, painting my nails white and
keeping Twilight open with my left foot. We both sat there, lost in our two favorite books,
happy and together. I was so startled by this flashback that I wasn't sure what to do. Was it
because Tyler had left that I was having a flashback again? Was it because I met Sean, who made
me think of Dustin? I walked over to the bed, which no longer had Dustin and myself sitting on
it, and sat down. My eyes dampened as I put my fist under my chin, thinking. I felt almost guilty
for this having been my first flashback in quite a while, thought I knew that was foolish. Dustin
wouldn't have wanted me to live the rest of my life in regret.
© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment