Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 38

And so I became known as the sensitive new kid. Girls fawned over this quality. Guys laughed at my face. So far, everything is going just great.(Sarcasm there.)

Going to school with my mom again felt weird. "Well, it was nice knowing that Tyler boy, I guess," my mom said as I closed the car door and put my backpack on the car floor. I closed my eyes. "Please don't talk about him," I pleaded. She shrugged, "I'm just saying-"
"Well don't." She rolled her eyes and the rest of the drive to school was spent in silence.
"Hey Ang! Where's your boyfriend?"
"Yea, Angela! Did he get sick of you?" I gritted my teeth, slammed my locker closed and turned to face whoever was making remarks at me. Two laughing kids saw my angry expression and turned to face their lockers. I headed up the stairs to Yarber. I felt nothing as I sat in the classroom. I swear. I felt nothing at all. None of the usual sadness, no more sadness from Tyler moving, no anger at my mom or Tyler's parents, no frustration with Jake for breaking my bedpost lamp, (which he had broken that morning.) No exhaustion from staying up until three am the night before staring at the ceiling. I wasn't annoyed that it was a Monday. I wasn't worried about the massive amount of homework Mr. Yarber had written on the white board. I didn't care that Selena was watching me from the the side of her eyes like I had recently tried to kill myself or something. I felt absolutely nothing. It was so strange. I saw people moving around me and felt myself breathing, but faces faded and my breathing grew quiet and unnoticeable. Everything was as it was. Nothing was good, nothing was bad, nothing was in between. Everything simply was. It was an indescribable moment. Then it ended. Anger at my mom, my brother, Tyler's parents, the kids in the hallway, and Mr. Yarber flooded into me like a hurricane that came out of nowhere. Sadness poured in, too, as all the seats were taken except Tyler's and the one that used to be Dustin's. It was as if I had only dreamed that either of them had ever even existed. They were just pleasant characters of my dreams and ceased to exist in the real world. Have you ever felt that perhaps you are in someone else's dream? That maybe, the person will wake up at any moment and you will just disappear?At that moment, I really hoped that the person of which I was in the dream of would get water poured on their head.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment