Sunday, October 4, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 36

I looked out the window and saw the trees being thrust about by the wind. I smiled and hurried out of the hallway, locking the chest and closing the doors behind me. "I'm going outside!" I called to Jake. "Yea, whatever," he responded. I threw open the front door and realized I didn't have a sweater. I hurried over to the coat closet and got out a warm but light sweater. I walked outside and closed the front door. I felt the wind on my face and breathed in the scent of the forest of fir and pine trees across the street and the few smaller trees on the residential side. The wind bit at my skin but it felt good. I listened fondly to the whistling and the sounds of leaves rushing by and gusts of air sending messages from desperate people far away. I walked quickly across the barren street and stepped into the forest. I avoided the obviously marked trail that led to the part of the creek with a bench and simply made my way through the deep brush to the more thrilling parts of the stream. Finally, I crossed the stream and walked deeper and deeper into the thick darkness of the trees that beckoned me with such force that I had no choice to go on. The wind had changed its direction and was now teaming up with the trees to push me father and farther into the beautiful darkness. I remembered being young and so scared of going anywhere off the trail at all in this forest. Dustin had run away from me, deep into the woods for a child, laughing and forcing me to follow her since I was the responsible one. The memory made my eyes water but also forced a smile onto my face. Eventually, I found a meadow with soft grass and, exhausted from the walk, dropped into the weeds, breathing heavily and laughing. Nature is the best medicine.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment