Wednesday, June 1, 2011

No Sense (anything can happen) part 9

"Hm," Delatrix purred, turning her face towards me, "Well, that won't do, certainly, will it, Petreus?" Petreus said nothing. "I could," Noah spoke up, and my eyes darted toward him, my heart beating quickly by now, as these strange people pondered my demise, "I could take her. Take care of her." Noah cleared his throat, his eyes wide with fear, whether more for me or himself I couldn't tell, "I'd like a...pet." Delatrix was smiling upon him, but her expression was amused, which didn't seem promising, and Noah added, "If you don't mind, of course, Madame Del." Delatrix smiled at the formal name and said, "I shall...think about it." She yawned, then, and stood. "I am tired," she said, "We shall discuss this more in the morning." Then, finally, she pressed a button on the table, the only sign of modern technology that I could see in the room, and summoned her servants back into the room. "Take the glitch away, Luke," she ordered, "I don't want it in my sight any longer tonight." Luke grabbed my shoulders and the last thing I saw before I was quickly ushered out of the room was Delatrix clasping herself to Petreus's side, smiling upon his barren expression and whispering something to him as she cupped his cheek with her hand.
Furious knocking. Loud bangs on the door that practically shook the whole room. I groaned and rolled over in the enormous bed. I fell asleep on top of the covers, already feeling lightheaded from the heat without the thick covers laying on top of me. I pushed myself off the bed and took a second to regain my balance before walking over to the door. The merciless pounding continued, and I threw open the door with frustration when I reached it, hissing, "What?" in my intruder's face. Noah was there, his big green eyes widened in terror. "What?" I asked again, my tone changed to one of fear and confusion. "We have to go," he whispered, "We have to go now." My eyebrows shot up, "We? We who? Go where?"
"Come on," he demanded, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the room quickly, not even pausing to close the door. "Wha-" he yanked me forward, cutting off my protests, and I followed in silent confusion as he half-ran down the spiral staircase. We took a sudden left at the bottom and he pulled me through a pitch black hallway until we reached a door, which he knocked on twice before it was thrown open. Before I could see the face of whoever had opened it, though, we were dashing through the room to another door, and Noah forced that heavy wood open himself, pulling us into the cool night air and shadows that showed me we were outside. A cossy suddenly pulled up, faster than I'd ever seen a cossy drive, and Noah shoved me in, squeezing into the same contept with me and and slamming the door closed. He pressed the button to speak to the driver and said two words I hadn't heard spoken in a long time, "Floor it."

© 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment