Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Famine Tournaments

Heyyyyy guys,

So I read this book recently. It's called The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. You might have heard of it. I don't know, probably not. It's kind of obscure. Anyway, my friend gave me a paperback copy of the book, and I already owned a hardcover copy of the last book in the trilogy that The Hunger Games is part of, (I bought it for like four bucks when one of my favorite local bookstores was closing,) so I figured I might as well read the thing. I'm about a fourth of the way through the third book now, but this is just a review of the first one. Mostly. Maybe, probably.
Anyway.
The book is really addicting, though it can be very frustrating and the main character...well...

Katniss Everdeen:
And you thought Bella Swan was annoying.*
Well, she's really more annoying in the second book. Which isn't to say she isn't annoying in the first one. She is.
But she's also interesting and aggressive and surrounded by less annoying characters. My favorite character in all the books is Peeta Mellark, the male lead of the first book and mostly the second book and a little bit the third book. (That didn't make much sense, but I don't really care.) I probably like him because he's sort of got the whole Edward Cullen thing going on- totally in love and very protective over the female lead. (Check out how Edward this line is: "Peeta rolls his eyes at Haymitch. 'She has no idea. The effect she can have.'" ...right? Right? I know.) The actual games are brilliantly written, gripping and keeping you constantly on edge, and the romance is irresistible, too, even if it is mostly one-sided. (Grrrr.)
The first book is less frustrating than the others, and I really did genuinely enjoy it, but I do have to say one thing: there was an extremely irritating amount of missing commas. I mean, seriously. I can understand if the author never really caught on to the proper way to use commas in school, and the manuscript she sent in was essentially comma-free. But really, you'd think that, in the hands of professional editors, this problem would be solved. But whatever. I just inserted them mentally as I read.
Overall, I have to give this book a ***** rating, but I feel like maybe I should add a backslash and then a -***** rating, because I'm not sure I would really recommend these books. They're brilliant, sure, but really a pain to read. And not because of the missing commas. I mean...when a book is Wuthering Heights, it's worth it to read it, despite the fact that it's frustrating beyond belief. But though Hunger Games is wonderfully written and has been very successful, it's not Wuthering Heights.
Still, if you want my opinion on whether it's worth it, just to me.... if I could go back in time and advise myself on whether or not to read Hunger Games...I'd read it again. But it'd still be annoying.

*Yes, I am admitting that Bella Swan can be kind of annoying sometimes. Well, I don't really think so very much personally. But I can see how someone else could feel that way.


Also, on a totally different note, I feel like "I got my groove back"...ever since I finished Broken Glass, Broken Hearts, I've been kind of...failing...as far as writing frequently goes, but I'm pretty much back into the swing of things, which means a lot more posts more frequently again, especially since summer is coming up. So I'm excited about that!

Got My Groove Back Playlist
  1. Melt My Heart To Stone by Adele
  2. Turning Tables by Adele
  3. Car Song by Woodie Guthrie
  4. Do Re Mi by Woodie Guthrie
  5. Truth by Alexander
  6. Brother by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
  7. Make You Feel My Love by Adele
  8. Make You Feel My Love covered by Ronan Parke (on Britain's Got Talent)
  9. 100 Years by Five For Fighting

Also also, for those of you who've read the books and understand, if I was in the Hunger Games, I would say bye to my family and then step off the platform as soon as they put me in the arena.
Starving=I'll pass.
Being stabbed/shot/killed by another person by any method= Thanks but no thanks.
Burning alive= Um, nah.
Killing people= Nooooo, thank you.


Also also also, I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides over the weekend and when I first heard about it, I was annoyed they were making another one because the story of the two main characters had ended, but...my friend wanted to see it and I can't resist Johnny Depp so I went anyway. And...it was just kind of totally flippin' amazing. I'm talkin', not only revolving around the beauty and hilarity that is Johnny Depp, but also featuring a side plot...are you ready for this...romance between a mermaid/siren and a missionary.
In case you didn't notice from my book Forbidden Love, I kind of love mermaid love stories. Also, I kind of love boys who love God. Also, I kind of love people who are beautiful. Which is both of the people in this couple. It's like they were custom made for me. Philip+Syrena Philip+Syrena Philip+Syrena = <3


Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks! ,

Sienna Mellark-Cullen-Roth-Darcy-Etc./Let's just say I'm kind of a hopeless romantic book nerd
(professional wrestler in all 60 states)


© 2011

2 comments:

  1. uhmm i don't think Katniss is annoying. Well maybe sometimes but not as awfully annoying as Bella.Ooh and i love Peeta too.He's amazing ;)
    The hunger games is my all-time favourite xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well you of course can disagree with me but I think Katniss is much worse than Bella. :) And yes, he is, I ADORE Peeta.

    ReplyDelete