Tuesday, June 7, 2011

No Sense (anything can happen) part 10

I woke up feeling dizzy and exhausted, my whole body seeming to pull down, nailing me to the ground with my own weight. My eyelids were heavy but I forced them up and looked around me. There was nothing to see, really. It was relatively dark, but from what my eyes could make out, I was in a small, empty room. It looked almost like a storage closet. Actually...now that I thought about it, as my eyes adjusted, I made out the metal racks pushed against the walls. They were empty, but I recognized them and knew that I was, indeed, in a storage closet. I looked down at my hands but they weren't bonded, and my feet were free, as well. So I stood up and walked over to one of the racks. I ran my finger along the rim of a rack and came up with about an inch of dust. Clearly this closet hadn't been used in a while. I tried the door, but it was locked, as was to be expected, so I sat back down in the same spot I had woken up in and just stared around me, wondering where I was, what was going on. After a while, I have no idea how long, the door swung open, and someone stood there and looked down at me. It took me a moment to realize it was Noah, as his hair and face was caked in dirt and dust, his clothes looking as if it had been rubbed with coal. The light from outside the closet shown in and I realized that I, too, was covered in filth. "Noah," I said, "What's going on?" Noah took a deep breath, closing his eyes, and said, "Sorry for knocking you out. They didn't think you would come willingly, and I figured you'd prefer anesthesia to a punch in the head." I rose my eyebrows, "Who are they?" Noah blushes, "A couple of lower class citizens. They were servers in the Great House, but I managed to smuggle them into the upper class, in exchange for them giving me their lower class residence." Noah opened the storage closet door open wider and I found myself in what looked like a miniature restaurant kitchen. Noah saw my confused expression and explained, "Every citizen of the lower class who serves in the Great House has an individual Serving Kitchen, because the Great Ones- Delatrix, really- doesn't want the the hassle of a large Serving Kitchen taking up as much space as it would in the Great House. I walked behind Nick out of the small "Serving Kitchen", as he called it, through swinging doors that reminded me of so many restaurants back home, and into a tiny house that looked strange connected to professional kitchen. It was tiny- a small hearth on one wall, with a stool sitting in front of it, a makeshift table made from a food crate with another stool sitting in front of it, and two low-to-the-ground beds with thin covers and pathetic-looking pillows. There were two doors other than the ones to the Serving kitchen, one that clearly led outside, and one in the wall the beds were pushed closest to. Nick told me, "That's the bathroom. The toilet flushes, and the sink runs, but the shower head is broken, and there's no tub. I walk over to the bathroom and open the door. The toilet is also low-to-the-ground, and a muddy brown color. The sink is really just a faucet over a bucket, but I figure you're supposed to pour the water down the showed drain when you're done. The shower is small, with no curtain or door, just a shower head pointing down at a broken tile square with a drain in the middle, surrounded by two inch walls to prevent the water from flooding the bathroom. I turned away from the bathroom and rose an eyebrow at Nick. "Ok," I said, "So why am I here?" Nick frowned apologetically and motioned around him, "Welcome home."

© 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment