Sunday, December 27, 2009

Juvy part 8

When it happened, I hadn't thought about...consequences. I'm not sure if I even knew it was illegal. I don't know...it seemed innocent enough.
There was this girl. Penny Jane. Nobody, (and I do mean nobody,) liked Penny Jane. Not even her wimp-of-a-boyfriend James. She was one of those typical back-stabbing, gossiping, boy-stealing girls you can find at every high school. The only thing that separated Penny from every other gossiping girl in the world was this: no one was on her side. Her parents, even, seemed to groan internally every time she got in the car after school, like they wished school hours would double so they wouldn't have to deal with her. Her older brother, Ray, hated her guts and never once in his life told her that he loved her. She had no followers, and every guy she stole only stayed with her for about five minutes. The only reason they even got with her in the first place was fear. That was the other thing about Penny. You could watch anyone, (and I do mean anyone,) and you would soon enough realize that they were scared of her. It wasn't like she was big and brawny. She wasn't physically frightening at all. Frankly, her wimp-of-a-boyfriend James could've killed her with a punch. She just had this air to her...the kind that makes you grab all your belongings and try your best to blend in with the walls so you don't lose your life. It really didn't make sense, seeing as any guys she 'stole' fled back to their original girl as soon as they could escape her; no one ever believed or passed on her gossiping, and even money wasn't on her side, seeing as her dad wouldn't give her money for anything but food, clothes, and her cell phone bill...when she was good. And yet, everyone shriveled up every time she walked by.
Well, after dealing with Penny through most of elementary school, all of middle school, and two and half years of high school, I and quite a few others were just about done with her. We wanted her to realize how insignificant she really was. And so the Penny-scam started. We put love notes in her locker, signing them from her secret admirer. We put flowers on her porch. Chocolates on her desk. We even sent her a holiday gram, which I'm positive she had never received before except from her wimp-of-a-boyfriend James, whom she pretty much forced to send her one. Now, I'm fairly sure that she knew all along that it was a scam. Even she had to be aware that no one, not even her wimp-of-a-boyfriend James, cared about her enough to go so far out of their way as to pick a flower from the schoolyard and stick it in her backpack when she wasn't looking, let alone send her love notes and presents. The problem was, we had no idea that she knew. All along, we thought we had her in the palm of our hand-when really it was the other way around. Maybe that was one of the scary things about Penny-she was clever. Much too clever. And she waited and waited for us to do something drastic enough that she could bust us for it.
I'm not sure how we had planned on ending the Penny-scam. It seemed like all the letters and gifts were a trail down to the big trap we had set up, but I suppose no one ever really told me what the trap was. Or maybe there wasn't one at all. I, of course, was the designated note-dropper and gift-deliverer, seeing as I had all the same classes with her except one, my locker was right next to hers, and my house was three doors down from hers. So when the day came for that 'drastic' thing-the one Penny had been waiting for and the one we had been planning on to really start the action (whatever that action was going to be,) I was sent in. To Penny's house. In the middle of the night. When no one was home...with a note. What the note said, I will never know. It must have been something bad, because I don't think what I did would have quite got me to Juvy if it hadn't said something bad. I had seen Penny come home before her parents plenty of times, so I knew the cliche key hiding place- under the door matt. I walked casually over to the house, took out the key, opened the door, walked towards Penny's room- and screamed. The light turned on in Penny's room and Penny came out, smiling and holding her phone, which was ringing. "P-penn...P-p-Penny! You're h-home! I was just...delivering a note to you- from...someone..." Penny smiled at me as a voice on the phone said, "911, what's your emergency?" I was about to protest frantically when Penny screamed into the reciever and hung up, dropping the phone on the floor. "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?" I yelled. I turned to run outside, but Penny put her arm out in front of me. "You're not going ANYWHERE," she said with an angry expression. "Penny! Please! I didn't-why are you doing this?! I was just delivering a note! I don't even know what it says!" Penny rolled her eyes. "Its from James!" I hollered in her face. She blinked. "Let me see th-"
I ran. "Hey!" she screamed after me. I was too late. Unfortunately, Penny's house was only about five minutes away from the town's police station. I heard Penny laugh as I was handcuffed and put into the back of a cop car.
And that's how I got here.

© 2009

2 comments: