Saturday, December 26, 2009

Devyn part 1

I stared at the light. It was blinding me. I sighed, picked up my coke, and
took a huge chug. I burped and the bar tender, my friend Bubba, bluntly
laughed at me. "Honey, you gotta get away from here. That was just nasty," he
said, putting up his hand and waving it around as if to wade off the smell. I
laughed, "Ok, Bubba. I'll see you later."
"You're leaving?!"
"Yup. I'll see ya tomorrow, Bubba."
"Oh, doll face. I'll never be able to cure you," he said with a seriously worried
expression. I laughed and picked up my coat, "Right. Ok. Bye."
I walked away from the bar and into the crowd of people dancing to Flo Rida.
I pushed the side door open swiftly, releasing the music into the night air. A
couple of kids on skateboards nearly ran over my toes as I sighed and stepped
into the frost. Even as I walked from the building, the music rang in my ears. When
it disappeared, I pulled my iPod out of my purse and scrolled to artists, choosing
Flo Rida, just for the occasion. Sighing, I pushed the door open to my apartment
and headed up the stairs because the elevator was broken. I slammed my door
closed and dropped onto my couch. Erik's smiling face appeared in my head and
I moaned as I rolled over so that my face was smushed into a pillow. My cell phone
rang and I laughed as 'Toxic' by Britney Spears played, signaling to me that it was
Devyn calling. I pressed talk, "Devyn," I said with a smile. "You're toxic I'm slipping
under!" Devyn sang. I laughed, "Oh, how I love you."
"I love you too," he said with a smile in his voice. My smile vanished. "So...um,
what's up?" He sighed, knowing what I was thinking. I didn't want him to be in love
with me. "Well," he said, cheering up from whatever good news he had to report,
"I was just sitting in this LOVELY little cafe dishing up ALL the latest juicy gossip."
I laughed at his Bubba voice. "And?"
"And?! AND?! Britney, babe! She's getting a new car!" he said, holding out the 'r'. I
laughed, "Ok. What do you want, Bub?"
"I want you to get over here and say hello to your most favorite person in the whole
world."
"Why would I want to see you?"
"I'm flattered, really I am, but I do believe that I was referring to my little pest of a sister."
"ANNIE!" I screamed.
"JESSE!" Annie screamed.
"DEVYN!" Devyn screamed. I laughed, "I'll be right over!"

"DEVYN?!" I screamed into the big house, my voice echoing off the entryway walls. "I'm
COM-ING!" Devyn sing-songed as he threw open his office door and slid down the
banister, nearly falling backwards about five times. I was doubled-over laughing by the
time he was standing in front of me. He sighed dramatically and said, "Laugh all you want,
but it seems that I'm the one with Annie's homemade chocolate-chip cookies in my
hands." I held out my arms for a hug and said, "Devyn, my love!" He rolled his eyes,
"Suck-up."
"But you still love me!" I laughed as I grabbed a warm cookie off of the paper plate he held.
"Yea, yea, whatever helps you sleep at night," he replied, smiling. I smiled back as I took
a bite of the warm, soft cookie. "JESSE!" Annie yelled as she ran down the stairs in her
ballerina-like way.
Devyn smiled at his sister as she called me by her pet name for me. "Hello, baby. Its
Justin, by the way."
"No, its not." she said, smiling and grabbing one her cookies out of Devyn's hands.
I laughed. Annie wrinkled her nose, "What's with that, anyway? How come your name is
Justin when you're a girl? And how come his is Devyn even though he's a boy?"
"Because they're transgender names, Annie. We've discussed this more than enough times."
Annie laughed, "Devyn, maybe, but Justin? That's just weird." I shrugged, "My parents decided
to be creative, I guess." Annie shook her head, "No, I think they just really wanted two kids
named Justin, but since they couldn't have anymore after you, they named you Justin
that way you could marry some guy named Justin and then all their wildest dreams would
have come true!" I raised an eyebrow and laughed loudly, "Oh, Annie! Where do you
come up with these things?"
"Your parents told me themselves!" she said with a sly smile. "Well, sucks for them,
'cause I'm not marrying someone named Justin."
"How come?" Annie asked innocently, hers eyes slipping to her brother. I blushed,
"Because that would be just weird. I can see it now:
You: JUSTIN?
Me and Justin: WHAT?"
"So?" Annie said with a laugh. "So? So that would be super annoying!" Annie laughed
again, "Whatever you say, Jesse."
"JUSTIN!"
"Oops. My bad, sorry Jesse," she winked and turned to the kitchen, skipping. Devyn
laughed, "Oh, what am I going to do with her?"
"I say the junkyard." He laughed, swung his arm around me, and led me to kitchen.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment