Friday, December 23, 2011

Nibble part 32

"Remi. Geez, you are so secretive. You can't hide anything from me. You know you can't. Tell me."
"Nothing happened!"
"Did you kiss? Did he kiss you? I bet he did. He kissed you, didn't he? Look at those rosy cheeks. He definitely kissed her." Gabby grinned, "What happened, Remi?" She darkened her voice and whispered, "I thought we were past all the secrets." I laughed, "We went out to dinner, that's all." Lindsay narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips, and then crossed her arms over chest. She wasn't satisfied. "And we went bowling," I added, blushing for a reason I couldn't explain. "Bowling!" Lindsay yelled, attracting several pairs of eyes in the hall, "Aha! That is a step. That is a step forward in your relationship. They went bowling," she said to Gabby, as if she hadn't heard me say this just a moment before. Gabby rose an eyebrow at her, "Thanks for the memo." Lindsay nodded and turned back to me. "So you went bowling," she said, "That's big. That's, like, huge."
"It's, like, bowling," I informed her, my eyebrows far up on my forehead. Lindsay rolled her eyes, "Do you know nothing about anything?"
"Apparently," I agreed, shooting a look to Gabby, who snickered. Lindsay huffed, "Bowling is a slow sport, right? Sometimes tedious; boring?" I made a face in response, and Lindsay continued, "Therefore, obviously, if a guy takes you bowling, he trusts his ability to converse with you easily." She cocks and eyebrow, her expression reading, Do you get it now?, and then she continues, "He's comfortable with you. He trusts you. You see?" My expression must have been confused at this point, and she turned back to her locker and said, "Big step."
"What's a big step?" He always did that, appeared as if out of nowhere, right at the moment when, if he's come a second earlier, it would have been very uncomfortable for me. "Hello, Angel, darling," Lindsay said. Nick bowed, "Morning, fair Lindsay."
"I heard that you took our Remi here bowling last night." Nick grinned at me in way of response, and Lindsay, satisfied, continued, "Well, how was she?"
"Oh, terrible," Nick said, smirking, "I told passerby's that I didn't know her." I stepped forward and smacked his upper arm. "Like you can talk! I've never seen somebody get so many gutter balls in my life."
"Well, what kind of a guy would I be if I let my girlfriend lose every round?" Lindsay's eyes sparkled and I felt my eyes widen and my cheeks burn at the word "girlfriend". "He's got a point there, I must say," Lindsay admitted. The bell rang, and Lindsay hooked her arm through mine, pulling me away from Nick and giving him a wave of her fingers and a, "Tootle loo, Angel, darling!"
I looked over my shoulder at him as Lindsay pulled me away, and he grinned that half-grin at me, making my heart pound like McCartney's bass when it drowned out the rest of the Beatles.


© 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment