Monday, May 3, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 54

"I really hate you."
"What! You're the one who said you wanted to go shopping!"
"I said I wanted to go shopping not hiking!!"
"What? But we have been shopping!"
"This is mall is so huge, and you keep dragging me to opposite sides! We must have walked at least five miles by now!"
"You're exaggerating."
"No I'm not! Look at this..." I pulled out my phone, "See! 5.4 miles. I have an app on my iPod that measures how far I walk." Selena looked at the iPod and shrugged, "Well, you got your work out for the day over with."
"Grrr!" I groaned, pulling my frappuccino up to my lips. "I don't get it. Why does it take you so long to shop? Can't you just get in, pick something, buy it, and get out?" Selena looked me over and said, "This coming from the girl with the tank top and jeans."
"Hey!"
"I'm not teasing. It works on you. But I'm just not the simple tank-top-and-jeans type of person. I need cute clothes and cute accessories, or I look...out of place. Everyone just expects me to be a statement."
"You're weird."
"You wanted to go shopping, Ang, you!"
"Yea, yea, yea. I know. But I didn't think it would be like walking a marathon."
"You're pathetic."
"This coming from the person who takes eight hours to shop!"
"That's not pathetic! I just have high standards!"
"You mean you're just picky."
"You're a jerk!" I laughed and we stepped into yet another store. If anybody had told me last year that I was going to become really close friends with Selena, I would have laughed out loud. I always just assumed that she was conceited, self-centered, and mean. But when I really got to know her, I found out that she was really a nice person. She may be a little on-the-surface sometimes, but she's a really sweet girl and is always there when you need her.
Tammy. I couldn't stop thinking about her. Why had we not talked in so long? Had she made a lot of new friends? Was she mad at me for never calling her? Did I have the right to be mad at her for not calling me? ...did she have a boyfriend in Canada? Tammy had never had a boyfriend before, but I could always tell when she liked someone, and plenty of people liked her, too. She was asked out a few times, but one was a jerk, one she didn't know very well, one was a girl, and one was a prank. All in all, she had never had a boyfriend before. I hadn't either. Dustin had always had her share of boyfriends, however, and that was enough for the three of us. It was always just that...the three of us. We weren't particularly popular, not that we wanted to be. But when Dustin died, it became just the two of us. And then Tammy left. And it was just me, alone in that huge school of people I'd known since kindergarten but didn't really seem to know at all. Like I said, we hadn't been very popular, but Dustin had very friendly. Although she only really hung out with us, she did seem to get along really well with everyone. And when she passed, it became incredibly clear to me just how many friends she really had. Selena had been in all of her classes the year before, (unlike me, who only had History with her,) and they had gotten to be pretty close friends. When Dustin died, I could tell she was really hurting. Probably not as much as me, (or Tammy,) but still a lot. She talked to me, and we just kind of clicked. Then Tammy left and she was the only close friend I had left at the school. And so it was that I became part of the popular table.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment